Pages Menu
Categories Menu

Posted by on Aug 15, 2017 in Isle of Wight History |

Kitty Millman’s Victorian book: Island Scenery (Newport and Cowes, Isle of Wight)

Extract from Island Scenery: The Isle of Man, Isle of Wight and the British Islands (1892)

Ancient Newport, the capital of the Isle of Wight, is situated on the river Medina. It is nearly in the centre of the island, and is connected by railway with Ryde, Cowes, Sandown, and Ventnor. The earliest written records of the town date from the twelfth century. There is not a doubt that its site was formerly a Roman settlement. In the year 1377 the town was almost destroyed by the soldiers of the French army during an invasion. For two years at least it was entirely deserted, and the historian of the reign of Queen Elizabeth had to complain that the town was ‘not yet fully builded and recovered.’ In the year 1582 which was about the time that the foregoing lament was made, the town received another heavy blow in the shape of the plague, which destroyed one-sixth of the inhabitants. During the month of September 1648 Charles I was temporally lodged in a room belonging to the Jacobean Grammar School, while the Royal Commissioners and the Parliamentarians were negotiating ‘the treaty of Newport.’ In the council chamber are several noteworthy paintings.

The inhabitants have honoured the memory of one of their more distinguished townsmen, who became Lord Chief Justice Fleming, by the erection of a statue. The church of St Thomas dates from the year 1175, and the carved old oak pulpit and sounding board, bearing the date of 1633, is adorned with a number of quaint figures, and the significant quotation, ‘Cry aloud and spare not, lift up thy voice like a trumpet.’ There are a number of chapels belonging to the Nonconformists. At the Congregational chapel, the Rev. Thomas Binney, the ‘Archbishop of Nonconformity,’ was pastor for six years before he entered upon his wider career.

Parkhurst Forest, an extensive area of common land, planted with pine trees, that formerly was a royal chase is a much-frequented resort.

Newport is the centre of the agricultural interests of the island. Corn and cattle markets are regularly held. The inhabitants are employed in the manufacture of lace, and also at the West Medina Cement Mills, which have been established for nearly eighty years, and the cement or plaster of Paris has been used in the construction of the Thames Tunnel, the railway tunnels erected by the late Robert Stephenson, and in many of the government works.

At the mouth of the Medina, which is a quarter of a mile across, is the rapidly rising town of West Cowes, which is connected with East Cowes by a steam ferry. In the former days, the villagers [sic] were respectively known as the West Cow and the East Cow, so that the pluralised form of the name is of recent date. Some of the older streets of the town are exceedingly narrow and have a cramped aspect. The newer part of the town has many handsome erections and open spaces. Cowes is directly fronting Southampton and its commercial prosperity is due to the shipping of the capacious harbour which extends for a considerable distance on the banks of the Medina and is the only port on the island. Its sheltered security, together with the superior anchorage it affords, ensures a good number of vessels even in stormy weather. The shipping yards are specially noted for the manufacture of life-boats, torpedo boats, and other craft of the Royal navy and the mercantile departments. There are also rope-walks, sail factories, and iron-works, which employ a large number of work people. The wharves and quays are well supplied with warehouses for storage purposes.

Cowes is the head quarters of the ‘Royal Yacht Squadron,’ of which the Prince of Wales is commodore. Its members comprise several of the titled nobility and other leaders in aristocratic circles. During the summer months the Solent presents a gay aspect from the large number of yachts found upon its waters. The annual regatta is held in the month of August and is witnessed by hundreds of spectators. The beach is shingly and is largely covered with shells of various sizes and patterns; it is skirted by two promenades which extend for a considerable distance along the shore, and which possess ornamental gardens, band-stand, drinking fountain and almost numberless seats. The town is governed by a local Board and can boast of several handsome public buildings. In the neighbourhood of West and East Cowes are a number of marine palaces. Norris Castle is the seat of the Duke of Bedford. East Cowes Castle is the residence of Viscount Gort. Lord Colville of Culross, Lord Dorchester, and General Sir Henry Frederick Ponsonby have handsome mansions in the vicinity.

 

Pin It on Pinterest